Consultant for expanding a global eCommerce corporation.
What is the value of the Common Vulnerabilities and Exposure (CVE) standard?
Before CVE, different Cybersecurity tools had their own databases of information. Sometimes they would refer to the same problem by different ID and therefor hard to compare databases. There were also not standards for identifying threats so different tools were providing different reports on the same problems. Due to these problems, CVE compatible tools allow for better security.
How can the CVE be used to improve an organization’s network security?View Full Post
What are today’s most significant threats to network security?
Phishing is pretty common. It’s a type of social engineering. Social engineering gets people to do what you want them to, thereby allowing an attack to proceed regardless of security.
Poor passwords –
Not having two-factor authentication on wireless access points leaves them more vulnerable to attack. While not so common, I think it will become more common once more criminals figure out how easy it can be to exploit a wireless access point regardless of the password used.View Full Post
Research the following bulleted items below, using the relevant reading resources for this week and supplementary ones you may come up with:
- What should a Firewall protect against?
- Most threats that can travel over the network. For example, denial of service attacks, access from unauthorized locations (outside of the network and inside), vulnerable type of traffic like ptp sharing.
- Non-network related security problems. They also aren’t 100% effective. So that’s why a layered security approach is necessary.
- I would want them in places where I need to manage things separately (because there are typically routing capabilities combined with firewalls), to isolate part of a network, or even to connect different locations over vpn.
- One would be where the internet connection terminates. For example, Comcast has their modem, then the firewall goes after that. Others could be connected to switches throughout the building where appropriate.
- You can see what ports are open by default
- Windows firewall can open ports, identify strange traffic. Windows defender works in conjunction with it to disable malicious programs as well. Zonealarm also has a comparison page. https://www.zonealarm.com/software It looks like they package their firewall with antivirus as well. I imagine their antivirus must be better than what comes with windows. I don’t think windows can be configured to protect your operating system during the start-up process like zonealarm’s can though. https://www.zonealarm.com/software/antivirus-firewall You can also set inbound and outbound rules in the settings for windows 10 firewalls. https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-turn-on-the-microsoft-windows-10-firewall-and-modify-its-configuration-settings/
Part Two: Wireshark Lab Report
Watch the video and write a 1-2 paragraph summary of what you learned.
Wireshark is a debugging tool to identify what the network is doing. It can capture traffic (in the form of packets) from a network. You can narrow down the types of packets you want to capture rather than capturing everything. For example, if you just want to look for pings you can specify ‘icmp.’View Full Post
Your IT department has just created an IR/Computer Forensics team; you are tasked with setting it up. Your first assignment is the following:
John Smith from the Collections Department has been accessing child pornographic websites from the company computer.
What laws and crimes are involved?View Full Post
A business continuity plan concerning how to keep things running if there is an incident of physical violence.View Full Post
Draft a Corporate Policy on how patching will be implemented on the Windows Operating Environment. Be sure to include the Servers, Clients, and any associated devices (i.e printers). The policy should be as detailed as possible.
Please read before applying patches and updates to software used by the company’s computers, peripherals, and networking equipment. Due to potential security risks and quality-of-life changes it’s important to keep things to up-to-date. However, updates can introduce unexpected problems.View Full Post
A small, financial focused business is looking to organize and secure its network. It currently has a single public IP address from a local telecom.View Full Post
Chapter 1 Review Questions Page 140
1. You are the administrator for the ABC Company. You are looking to install Windows Server 2012 R2, and you need to decide which version to install. You need to install a version of Windows that is just for logon authentication and nothing else. You want the most secure option and cost is not an issue. What should you install?
A. Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter with GUI
B. Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter Server Core
C. Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard with GUI
D. Windows Server 2012 R2 Web Server Core
Design a Group Policy for a Small Business Network that needs to focus strict network security. Be sure to include at least 10 GPOs and explain how and why you configured them.View Full Post